Friday, March 25, 2011

Florida Part 2

On the first full day in Florida, my dad and I went out early to Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay. There were lots of great birds at Wako, including palm, pine, and yellow-rumped warblers. There were also many other people there with large lenses, although this year I was able to hold my own in that respect, with only a few 500 f4 lenses to dwarf mine. Unfortunately, I didn't see a purple gallinule, which I had last time. On the other hand, there was a painted bunting pair at Green Cay, which is one of the most amazing birds I've seen.
We went to the West Palm Beach Zoo, and there were white ibises everywhere. This one's at a more natural setting in Green Cay.
One of my favorite things about Florida is that I get to see these neo-tropical migrants before spring. This blue-gray gnatcatcher was very cooperative.
I took this little blue heron right as I was leaving Green Cay for the last time. I certainly hope to get back to Delray Beach next year.
Most of the photos in this post have been entered in the Green Cay photo contest, and I think I should know April 27th how I did. It's snowing here right now, but I got lots of nice pictures because the birds are eager to use the feeders.

1 comment:

  1. Love the shot of the white ibis in flight. I clicked to enlarge it for a better view, and it stays really sharp against a great blended background. Looks like a great outing overall!

    ReplyDelete