Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yard Birds

In the fall, and earlier this spring, I observed a seeming lack of migrants in our yard. However, that has changed. I realized that I need to look in the big oak trees in our front yard, instead of the low bushy trees in our backyard. I have been able to see a tennessee warbler, swainson's thrush, male redstart, and many other warblerish birds that only show me their bellies However, there was also a common yellowthroat in the backyard. Earlier this spring, I saw in my yard for the first time white-crowned sparrows.
Also, a pair of robins nested in the holly tree right outside our front window. All the babies have fledged by now.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of the baby robins! I like how you captured the different stages. I had a robin's nest in my yard this year too, in a bush by my back fence. Those parents sure were busy! That location was too leaf covered for any good photos, though. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete