Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Mixed Bag

In this post you will find some snow pictures from around my house, and some pictures from a trip to Forest Park. That trip netted me a new species: the field sparrow. Also seen were mallards, wood ducks, a juvenile red tailed hawk, song sparrows, american tree sparrows, starlings, white-throated sparrows, dark-eyed juncos, a carolina wren, and an american kestrel.
Various yard birds.
I made this fruit feeder myself. No birds have come to it yet, however.This juvenile cooper's hawk was (I think) eating a road-killed rabbit as I left my neighborhood to go to Forest Park.
A song sparrow in Forest Park.
Wood Ducks. It's hard to believe that they're a fairly common native bird.
American Kestrel.
A juvenile red-tailed hawk.

There were lots of bird's nests visible around the park.

I may be going on an Audubon field trip to Riverlands this weekend, so keep checking back!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Spencer,
    This is my second visit to your site.
    I just checked in to see if you had posted new pictures. The new photos are both fascinating and peaceful. Thank you for your efforts in photo-documenting the curious life of birds. I love being reminded of the wildlife all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- great pictures! Especially the one of the Wood Duck. I saw you wrote on Larry's blog that you use a Canon PowerShot S2 IS- so do I. I've gotten so really amazing pictures using it, but I also have a lot of blurry ones- I need to learn how to use the manual settings. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete