Friday, June 1, 2012

Some Birds

I don't have any recent birding to talk about, so I thought I'd just post some pictures that hadn't made it on here yet. Most of my bird-related activity lately has involved volunteering at a wild bird rehabilitation center, where I get to feed injured/abandoned birds. There's a lot of robins, starling, and grackles, but there are also some rarer birds, including a pileated woodpecker the last time I was there.

 This is an ovenbird from Tower Grove Park last year. An ovenbird was either the first or second warbler I ever saw, up in Michigan. It's either ovenbird or Redstart, also in Michigan.

This female scarlet tanager is from Michigan, and I've actually never seen a male, which would be bright red with the same black wings.

These Waxwings are also from Michigan. I like seeing them up there in the summer, since they're late fall birds here in St. Louis. The coolest is seeing white-throated sparrows, red-breasted nuthatches, and yellow-bellied sapsuckers, since those are all winter birds for St. Louis.








1 comment:

  1. I'd be interested to hear more about your bird rehab center, especially since it takes small birds. There's one out here near Columbia for raptors only. Here's the link if you ever get out this way:

    http://www.raptorrehab.missouri.edu/

    ReplyDelete