Sunday, February 6, 2011

Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary

One of the major attractions of this area are the wintering Bald Eagles. They are reliably found here, and I don't think I've ever not seen a couple (although this time a lot of the water was frozen over). These two were taken below a dam, where there were many photographers, including some, believe it or not, with even longer lenses.
I had actually just put my camera back in the car when this guy showed up. Fortunately, I was able to get it out in time. I'd still like to go back and get some more shots, though.
There were sparrows all over the place here. Song, Eurasian Tree, American Tree, White-Crowned, and Savannah.
There were also Horned Larks! I really like these birds because they look so funny with their little tufts. There was a big flock of them around the visitor center feeders, and I had to crowl for quite a ways on my belly to get this shot.I've seen a lot of shots like this this winter, and I think it's because of their flight habits. Northern Harriers cruise low over the fields, which lets you get a nice brown background.
http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=vg1&ns=1 This is a fun site to look at, because it often has many very nice pictures, including many nicer harrier flight shots.
These guys were in a big flock foraging around the visitors center. Due to an embankment leading up to it, I was able to get many nice eye-level shots. That embankment is hard to describe, but basically the entrance to an office building was below ground level, so I could crouch over a snow drift and be at the birds level.

I'm going to Florida on the 17th, and besides the warm weather, I look forward to Wakadahatchee and Green Cay, and Fishing on lake Osborne. Look up Peacock Bass. Hopefully I'll catch one, and I remember the photography at Wako/Green Cay was amazing, and that was even before I got my new lens!

1 comment:

  1. Really like the ground level shots! Might as well take advantage of all the snow we've had this winter to get some nice backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete